Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, April 27, 2009

OKC Marathon 2009

TOP 10 REASONS TO/NOT TO RUN A MARATHON

10. TO: It's a great feeling when you're done!
NOT TO: You get to feel good ALL day!
9. TO: It's a good excuse to eat anything you feel like and have a great excuse for it!
NOT TO: That might cause a bad habit...

8. TO: To honor the first marathon runner, Phidippides, who ran the approximate race distance from Marathon, Greece to Athens, Greece to announce a battle victory over the Persian Army (He died right after this race from a heart attack likely due to the fact that prior to this run, he had already ran 140 miles to Sparta for help, 140 miles back to Marathon, then fought the battle, then ran back to Athens to announce the victory).
NOT TO: Phidippides was obviously pretty stupid! J/K :)

7. TO: It's a good excuse to travel!
NOT TO: Camping in the backyard would be more relaxing....and cheaper!

6. TO: You can eat Jelly Beans and claim they are for energy!
NOT TO: You get enough Jelly Beans at Easter.
5. TO: You can burn about 3000 Calories in a single morning!
NOT TO: That still means you run for 4 hours straight!
4. TO: Just to say that you did it!
NOT TO: Chaffing, blisters, and dehydration just aren't really worth the bragging rights!

3. TO: It's a great sense of accomplishment!
NOT TO: I'd hate to make someone else feel inadequate...

2. TO: To stay fit and active!
NOT TO: Won't eating that yogurt have the same effect?

1: TO: It's supports a great cause!
NOT TO: Wait, you have to pay to run that far?

OKC Marathon 2009

Well, it wasn't the best marathon I've ever done, but it wasn't the worst either.

Worst weather, however, by far. It was HOT and HUMID and WINDY!! At the start of the race (6:30 am) it was like 68-70 degrees which for spectators is great but for the runners is NOT GOOD! We were all hot by mile 1 or 2. The humidity was something like 80%, and the wind ended up being around 25-30 mph from the South which meant it was in your face for about 7-8 miles total on the back half of the marathon. NOT FUN!

The emotions you feel when running in that weather is similar to giving birth...."Someone remind me not to ever do this again!!" But then later you forget just how bad it was in the moment and instead remember the end result. So this is my note to self, "That was bad. It hurt. It was not fun. You said some cuss words I think around mile 21. Think long and hard about ever doing this race again." :)


END RESULT: 3:57:11

Overall Pace: 9:03

Place in Age Group: 9/166

Place Overall Female: 49/936


My Thoughts: Not too shabby, not too great. Need to train harder, faster, and give more time (trained only 9 wks for this one), AND luck out with better weather. :) But at least I met my overall goal which was to prove to myself that I could still run a marathon after having a baby! Now I can think about baby # 2....but not just yet. :)

6 comments:

megan k said...

i think you should work on baby #2.

i'm very proud of you... You didn't make me feel inadequate b/c i eat yogurt :)

Christy said...

I always thought you were amazing for running those crazy things, but you are even more amazing now- running post baby is a huge accomplishment in my eyes!! I do feel a little inadequate, but that's OK- I get over it:)

Aubrey said...

Jenn...you did awesome! Your placement in your age group as well as among the females running is definitely something to be proud of! Blame the wind for everything else negative about the race! :)

Hannah E. said...

Ooh, baby #2 sounds interesting! =)

Way to go! You're so disciplined. You need to teach me how to do something with myself that resembles getting in shape.

Megan P said...

I am sooooo proud of you!!! You did AMAZING!!!! I only ran 1/2 the distance and thought it was torture :-) hahaha You did such a great job!! So proud of you little momma!!!!

Angela said...

HAhahahah....you crack me up!!!! I liked all your comments. You are amazing woman! I don't know how you run that long and that hard. I run about 4 miles and that is enough for me! But it would be awesome to actually run a marathon just to say you did it! :) Congrats on a job well done!!!!!